Animoca Brands, the Hong‑based developer and publisher of blockchain‑enabled games and digital entertainment experiences, has announced that it will delay its planned initial public offering and temporarily suspend ongoing merger talks with cryptocurrency investment firm Currenc. The decision marks a significant shift in the company’s strategic roadmap, which had previously been geared toward a high‑profile public listing and a consolidation that would have given Animoca a dominant share in the newly formed enterprise. The discussions between Animoca and Currenc were first reported toward the end of the previous year. At that time, the two parties outlined an ambitious plan in which Animoca would acquire a 95 percent stake in the merged organization, effectively positioning it as the controlling partner while allowing Currenc to retain a minority interest and continue to contribute its expertise in digital asset management and token economics.

The proposed merger was seen by industry observers as a move that could accelerate the integration of gaming and decentralized finance, creating a powerful platform for the issuance, trading, and utilization of non‑fungible tokens (NFTs) across a broad portfolio of titles. However, in a statement released to shareholders and the media on Monday, Animoca disclosed that it has decided to put the IPO on hold indefinitely and to pause the merger negotiations until further notice.

The company cited a “changing macro‑economic environment” and “heightened market volatility” as primary factors influencing the decision. In particular, the recent turbulence in global equity markets, coupled with regulatory uncertainties surrounding cryptocurrency assets in several major jurisdictions, has prompted the firm to adopt a more cautious approach.

“We remain deeply committed to building a sustainable, long‑term business that bridges the worlds of gaming and blockchain,” said Yat Siu, co‑founder and chairman of Animoca Brands. “While we are enthusiastic about the potential synergies with Currenc, we believe it is prudent to reassess the timing of both the public offering and the merger in light of the current market dynamics.

Our priority is to ensure that any transaction we pursue creates genuine value for our shareholders, partners, and the broader community of creators and players.” The postponement of the IPO also means that Animoca will not be seeking to list its shares on any exchange in the immediate future. The company had originally targeted a 2024 listing on the Nasdaq or the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, aiming to raise capital that would fund further development of its Play-to‑Earn ecosystem, expand its portfolio of licensed properties, and invest in next‑generation blockchain infrastructure. By delaying the offering, Animoca will continue to rely on its existing cash reserves, private funding rounds, and strategic partnerships to finance its growth.

Analysts have offered mixed reactions to the news. Some view the move as a prudent response to external pressures, noting that many tech and crypto‑related firms have postponed or canceled public offerings after the sharp correction in cryptocurrency valuations earlier this year. Others, however, argue that the delay could signal underlying concerns about the company’s valuation expectations or the feasibility of integrating Currenc’s token‑economics platform with Animoca’s gaming pipeline.

From a strategic standpoint, the suspension of merger talks does not necessarily indicate a permanent breakdown in the relationship between the two companies. Both parties have expressed a willingness to revisit the discussion when market conditions become more favorable.

In the meantime, they will continue to explore collaborative projects on a case‑by‑case basis, such as co‑development of NFT‑driven in‑game assets, joint marketing initiatives, and shared research into cross‑chain interoperability solutions. The broader industry context is also worth noting. The gaming sector has seen a surge of interest in blockchain integration over the past few years, with major publishers experimenting with NFT collectibles, token‑based reward systems, and decentralized marketplaces.

Yet the sector remains fragmented, and regulatory scrutiny—especially regarding the classification of in‑game tokens as securities—has created uncertainty for developers and investors alike. By pausing its public market ambitions, Animoca may be seeking to navigate these regulatory waters more carefully, ensuring compliance before exposing itself to the heightened scrutiny that accompanies a listed status. For investors and stakeholders, the key takeaway is that Animoca Brands is opting for a more measured growth trajectory. The company will focus on strengthening its core business, expanding its user base, and refining its blockchain offerings while keeping an eye on future opportunities to re‑engage with capital markets and strategic partners.

As the landscape evolves, the firm’s leadership remains optimistic that the right conditions will eventually align, allowing them to resume the IPO process and potentially rekindle merger negotiations under terms that reflect a more stable and mature market environment. In summary, Animoca Brands has officially delayed its planned IPO and temporarily halted merger discussions with Currenc, citing market volatility and regulatory considerations. While the immediate impact includes a pause on raising new public capital and a reassessment of the merger structure, the company continues to pursue its long‑term vision of integrating gaming with blockchain technology. Stakeholders are advised to monitor upcoming developments, as the firm may revisit both the public offering and partnership talks once external conditions improve.