Animoca Brands, the Hong Kong‑based developer and publisher of blockchain‑enabled games, has announced that it will postpone its planned initial public offering and temporarily suspend the merger talks it had been conducting with Currenc, a fintech firm focused on digital asset services. The decision marks a significant shift in strategy for both companies, which had entered into negotiations late last year with the intention of creating a new, combined enterprise in which Animoca would hold an overwhelming majority—approximately 95 percent—of the equity. While the original plan promised to fuse Animoca’s strong portfolio of play‑to‑earn titles and its deep expertise in non‑fungible tokens (NFTs) with Currenc’s capabilities in digital payments and regulatory compliance, the two parties have now agreed to pause the process while they reassess market conditions and internal priorities. The talks between Animoca and Currenc began in the final quarter of 2023, a period when the broader cryptocurrency and blockchain gaming sectors were experiencing a wave of optimism.
Both companies saw an opportunity to leverage each other’s strengths: Animoca could benefit from Currenc’s infrastructure for handling fiat‑to‑crypto conversions and its relationships with financial regulators, while Currenc could tap into Animoca’s expansive user base and its growing catalogue of NFT‑driven experiences. The envisioned merger was expected to create a vertically integrated platform that could streamline everything from token issuance and marketplace transactions to in‑game economies and cross‑border payments.
In the months that followed, the two firms outlined a detailed roadmap. The merger agreement stipulated that Animoca would acquire a 95‑percent stake in the new entity, leaving Currenc’s shareholders with a modest 5‑percent share.
This structure was designed to give Animoca decisive control over strategic direction, product development, and capital allocation, while still preserving Currenc’s brand and operational autonomy in its core fintech activities. The combined company was projected to raise upwards of $500 million through an IPO, which would have been listed on a major exchange such as Nasdaq or the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, providing both firms with the liquidity needed to accelerate product rollouts and expand into new markets. However, the macro‑economic environment has shifted dramatically since the initial discussions.
Global financial markets have faced heightened volatility, with central banks tightening monetary policy and investor appetite for high‑risk, high‑growth tech listings cooling off. In the blockchain space specifically, regulatory scrutiny has intensified across the United States, Europe, and Asia, leading to a slowdown in capital flows to crypto‑related projects. These factors have contributed to a more cautious approach among investors, making the prospect of a large‑scale IPO less attractive at the present moment.
Animoca’s leadership cited these external pressures as a primary reason for the postponement. In a statement released to the press, CEO Yat Siu explained that the company wants to ensure that any public offering is timed to maximize shareholder value and that proceeding under current market conditions could undermine the long‑term vision for the combined business.
"We remain fully committed to the strategic rationale behind the merger with Currenc," Siu said, "but we believe it is prudent to pause and re‑evaluate the timing of an IPO until we see a more stable and supportive investment climate." Currenc’s CEO, Maria Alvarez, echoed the sentiment, noting that the fintech firm also needs to address ongoing regulatory developments that could impact its operations. "Our priority is to maintain compliance and safeguard our users' assets," Alvarez remarked.
"While we are excited about the synergies with Animoca, we must ensure that any integration aligns with the evolving legal framework governing digital assets." The suspension of talks does not necessarily signal an end to the partnership. Both parties indicated that they will continue to explore collaborative projects on a case‑by‑case basis, such as joint token‑launches, shared liquidity solutions, and co‑development of new gaming experiences that incorporate sophisticated payment mechanisms. In practice, this could mean that Animoca’s upcoming titles will integrate Currenc’s payment gateway, allowing players to purchase in‑game items using a broader range of fiat and crypto options, thereby enhancing user convenience and broadening market reach.
Industry analysts have weighed in on the development, offering mixed perspectives. Some view the pause as a prudent move that reflects a realistic assessment of market dynamics, emphasizing that a rushed IPO could lead to undervaluation and subsequent volatility for shareholders. Others argue that delaying the merger could cause Animoca to miss a strategic window to consolidate its leadership in the play‑to‑earn sector, especially as competitors like Ubisoft and Electronic Arts are increasingly experimenting with blockchain integrations. From a financial standpoint, the postponement may have short‑term implications for both companies’ balance sheets.
Animoca had earmarked a portion of its cash reserves to cover IPO-related expenses, including underwriting fees, legal counsel, and marketing costs. With the IPO on hold, those funds may be redirected toward product development, strategic acquisitions, or strengthening its existing gaming pipeline. Currenc, meanwhile, may need to reassess its capital‑raising strategy, potentially seeking private‑equity partners or venture funding to sustain its growth trajectory. Looking ahead, both Animoca and Currenc have pledged to keep stakeholders informed about any future developments.
They plan to reconvene their advisory committees later in the year to review market trends, regulatory updates, and internal performance metrics. Should conditions improve, the companies could revive the merger proposal and resume preparations for an IPO, potentially with revised terms that reflect the lessons learned during this pause. In summary, Animoca Brands’ decision to delay its IPO and suspend merger negotiations with Currenc reflects a cautious response to a volatile macro‑economic environment and an increasingly complex regulatory landscape for digital assets.
While the immediate impact includes a temporary halt to the ambitious plan of creating a 95‑percent‑owned, vertically integrated gaming‑fintech powerhouse, both firms remain committed to exploring collaborative opportunities that can deliver value to their users and investors. The next few quarters will be critical in determining whether the merger will be revived under more favorable conditions, or whether the two companies will chart separate paths while continuing to innovate within their respective domains.